last year we heard about diving in raja ampat misool eco resort . we wanted to see it for ourselves
trip planner: as with wakatobi resort, you cannot arrive and depart any day, you have to arrive and depart at specific dates. raja ampat is at the west side of the island of papua new guinea, 4 hours flying direct from Jakarta with express air: raja ampat airport is SORONG (SOQ)
all express air (code: XN) from Jakarta airport (CGK) to Sorong (SOQ) depart at domestic terminal in Jakarta early in the night (1am).
The boat from sorong – misool is 4-5 hours. (so you usually need to stay 1 night in sorong before flying home)
- extra luggage fees for domestic flights: as we are divers with a lot of luggage, bring lots of Indonesian cash, as the luggage limits are strictly enforced. excess luggage is at 40000 idr per kg (about 4usd). ONE WAY.The extra luggage fees can be reduced if you do not ask for official receipt.
- domestic airport taxes: remember to keep around 40000 IDR per person for airport taxes at CGK domestic. Airport taxes in ALL of Indonesia are cash payment only.
- foreign currency exchanges are a lot cheaper than paying with credit cards or atms, as long as you exchange it in crisp USD in Jakarta downtown. (inside keraton plaza shopping complex). do not exchange in hotels, airports.
- international VOA visa on arrival at CGK aiport: 25usd per person. cash only. you line up to pay and get the visa first, at the FIRST line: payment, even if other lines says VOA (it is actually border control for voa)
- taxi in CGK: when we landed in CGK international airport, we previously asked the Keraton plaza hotel to pick us with their BMW limousine service. cost 60 usd.
- is the hotel pick up service worth it? yes. a long ride in comfort, especially considering Jakarta famous traffic, heat, and with pick up meet and greet service, and the fact you can charge it to your room without spending cash (get some spg points) or having to get foreign exchanges at airport is effortless.
INTERNATIONAL FLIGHTS LOGISTICS:
our flight was all business class: canada-SFO-TPE-CGK with review eva air (BR) business class
return: CGK-HND / (stop) NRT-SEA-canada with review of ANA 787 Dreamliner business class
cost: 120 000 us airways miles per person, or around $ 1200 (+5%gst) usd pp (with their bi annual transfer miles bonus promos)
Sorong: JE meridian hotel (not THE meridien hotel, not part of starwood). normally required stay in sorong one night before flying home, as the boat from misool resort takes 4-5 hours.
Tokyo: Westin tokyo